Starting and ending your day with the ritual of sipping a cup of warm water with lemon can be one of the easiest and most nourishing ways to take care of yourself. Most of us are chronically dehydrated. This is problematic because mild dehydration triggers physical stress and raises the main stress hormone, cortisol.
There are many benefits specific to drinking warm water with lemon as discussed below. But drinking it before bed has an extra special bonus. Research from the University of Chicago found that drinking 8oz of water before bed shuts down 100% of hunger pains and cravings.
This super easy self-care tip has a pretty incredible R.O.I. Take a look at some of the benefits of warm water and lemon:
1. Boosts your immune system. Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is great for fighting colds and potassium stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure.
2. Helps alkalinize the body. I found this hard to believe when I first heard it, but lemons are an alkaline food. What? Yes it’s true, they are acidic on their own. But inside our bodies they’re alkaline. And keeping the proper pH balance is a big key to maintaining good health.
3. Helps with weight loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. And according to Eating Well Magazine, people who maintain a more alkaline diet tend to lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion. The warm water serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis—the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving. Lemons are high in minerals and vitamins, helping to loosen toxins in the digestive tract. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials, and encourages the production of bile in your body. This synergistic effect helps to soothe and normalize the the body’s digestive process.
5. Acts like a gentle, natural diuretic. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Keeps skin clear. The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well.