Restorative yoga lets you reap all the benefits of yoga, without all the work. That’s why I lovingly refer to it as “the lazy man’s yoga.” This therapeutic style of yoga uses a variety of props to create a completely supportive environment that induces the relaxation response almost immediately.
These props are typically a combination of blankets, blocks, sandbags, and bolsters, but might also include the support of a wall or folding chair. The use of props is designed to allow the poses to be held for a greater length of time, usually 5-10 minutes, permitting the body to become more open and flexible through passive stretching. This practice facilitates deep release in connective tissue and calms the nervous system.
Some of the benefits of restorative yoga are:
- improvement in sleep quality
- alleviation of depression and anxiety
- improvement in digestion and elimination
- reduction of muscle tension
- stimulation of the immune and endocrine systems
- reduction of blood pressure
- resolution of metabolic syndrome
To learn about the healing benefits of reiki, click here.
To book an appointment or purchase a gift certificate, click here.